FAULTY BOILERS CAN KILL! (a press realse for BRIX by fellow BEST member PNPR)
Surrey expert warns of the lethal dangers of faulty boilers, gas fires and wood burners
Surrey, 22nd February 2016. Every single day of the year 81 people go to A&E because of carbon monoxide poisoning. That’s 4,000 a year, according to the government.
“It’s a terrible thing,” says boiler expert, Grant Aitkin, Technical Director, Brix Plumbing and Heating Ltd, in Bramley. “but fumes from clapped out boilers kill 30 people a day.
“Carbon monoxide is an invisible killer, which you can’t taste or smell either, so it’s vital you have your boiler, gas fire or wood-burner checked regularly every year, and that you install CO alarms in your home. Landlords must have these in buy-to-let properties and face penalties if they don’t.”
Tell-tale symptoms of a leak are headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, chest pains, nausea and vomiting. To avoid the risk of any of these or even death, here are Grant’s Top Ten Tips:
- Have your boiler or wood-burner serviced every year without fail
- Do this well before the winter sets in as boiler engineers get very booked up as soon as there’s a cold snap
- Make sure you use a Registered Corgi engineer
- They should be carrying a Gas Safe ID card, which you should ask to see
- After a service you should get a Certificate of Safety
- If you’re renting, ensure that the property has the Certificate as well as CO alarms
- The alarm should be audible and meet the EN50291 standard
- Faulty gas boilers will show sooty marks around the wall
- Faulty gas fires will show a yellow and not a blue flame
- If you want to check on any aspect of Carbon Monoxide safety, call Public Health England. Tel. (01235) 825 405/6.
Brix are on Tel. 01483 894870 and at www.brix.co.uk
For media enquiries, please call PNPR. Tel. (01483) 82 44 58.
For further information please visit: www.gov.uk/government/collections/carbon-monoxide-co.